Monday, January 4, 2010

House hunting - Part 1

House hunting on the kind of budget we've got is a teency bit discouraging. I am keeping my chin up and being very positive - but it's definitely going to be challenging!

Realtors can be a little snooty when they find out that you are "small potatoes". And while I am not very picky about the house itself (Bobby can work miracles when it comes to that sort of thing, so the only hard and fast rule I've got is that it must have a yard!), I am going to be pretty picky about the neighborhood. So I am basically asking my realtor to turn water into wine at a discount price!

As for the other stuff...

I bought a book about home buying and mortgages and everything so I am well armed with knowledge before I begin this journey. Our down payment savings is coming along slowly but steadily. I will probably be asking for "donations" to the house fund for my birthday, instead of ANY presents!

I have started gathering all of the documents I'm going to need (basically my entire filing cabinet) for the lender. My lender is very busy but kind of fabulous, so I feel like she's worth playing phone tag with! 

And the fun stuff: Bobby works at Ace so we can get the paint and other odds and ends we are going to need at a discount. My friend April is a design major and has agreed to help me with the basic aesthetics (like what color to pain each room, based on our tastes and the stuff we've already got!)

We don't have a washer dryer, a fridge, a couch, or a tv so I've sort of been haunting craigslist to get a feel for what we will be able to find for what price. I think that I will just go to K-mart and put a decent sized (not HUGE, hello! we're on a budget...sorry Bobby!) TV on layaway soon. The rest of the stuff we'll probably just get used off of craigslist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers