Friday, January 28, 2011

Practically Perfect in Every Way

I recently had some inspiration where my career is concerned.

A little girl I work with goes to a daycare that treats her very poorly. She has  Angelman's Syndrome  - she is non-verbal and spends most of her day in a wheelchair. Except at her daycare - there she is put into a 6 by 6 pen. The thought of this sweet (and yes, occasionally challenging) little girl in a pen breaks my heart. I literally well up with tears every time I talk about it.

It turns out that daycare for kids with special needs are in short supply. In fact, most daycares in the area will not even accept a child diagnosed with Autism or Intellectual Disability

My idea is to create a daycare facility that caters to children with special needs. A place where no child, no matter what their challenges, would be put into a pen. A place where employees would be trained in positive reinforcement, basic behavior intervention and prevention strategies, and communication with verbal and non verbal clients. We would provide a place for clients to work with their private agencies if necessary.

I think it's a really great idea. I think there's a need for it, and I think I could probably be good at running that sort of business. I think we'd probably be successful pretty quickly... Now I just have to figure out how to get started!

Ugh just thinking about it makes my head hurt! But I think it's too good of an idea just to let go because I don't know how to get started. There are books for everything - I just have to find some to help me!

Oh by the way - I'm going to call my daycare "Practically Perfect in Every Way! A special place for special people"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers